Hello again, there!

I’ve been pretty bad with posting but my Yarn and knitting game has been strong, I took a break in July & August but otherwise I’ve been very consistent. I’d love to post some finished projects on here but first I need to photograph those. Also, I’m hoping on tracking my yarn usage. How many skeins I use and how many I buy per month. Or something like that. I’ve started a Yarn Journal (I got a pretty one from Paperchase in London) to track it and I thought I’d update my progress on here at the end of the month. But we’ll see how that goes.

Right now I’m working on a very big scarf for a friend. She’s been telling me since spring that she’d love a really big hand knit scarf and I told her that she’d just have to tell me what pattern she’d  like and I’m game. We finally got organized and I cast on two weeks ago. I might be about a 1/4th done with it. Hopefully I’ll be able to continue at this speed or even faster so she’ll be warm with her hand knit very soon.

 

The pattern is “Alma’s Scarf” by Mareike Sattler. It’s on Ravelry but you have to buy it through Interweave. (I sent my friend to Ravelry to browse so she could give me a few examples of what she likes because ‘a big scarf’ is a pretty open description…)

The yarn I’m using is Madeline Tosh DK in the “Cardinal” colourway. She wanted something ‘brick’ coloured and that was the closest I could find.

 

Now I’m off for tea and more knitting.

It’s a flaming-oh!

flamingopillow-sml.jpg

My second project from the pattern book I knit the hat out of. Acutually the first but the second to make it here.

While stitching in the flamingo was hard – keeping track of where in the bird you are – knitting took so long and so much patience! It was just knitknitknit purlpurlpurl knitknitknit purlpurlpurl… I often put it away and did nothing for a week or two so it took a long time to finish. I stitched up the inside pillow out of scrap fabric and stuffed it with leftover stuffing my mother had from we don’t remember what. And to finish it I covered some cardboard in fabric to creat grey buttons.

And that is my completely self made pillow.

Most importantly, the yarn I used is so super soft you don’t want to let go. I can’t remember what it’s made of but mohair played a part… The pink, black and white were from my scrap stash.

It should be a square pillow but it’s rectangular for one very important reason: I ran out of yarn… I still have a teeny tiny bit left but I wanted to bind off without playing too much yarnchicken. Learned that expression recently, I really like it ^^)

– isn’t my bookshelf pretty?

 

[October 2015]

Bi-Ba-Bommel

hatphoto

[Bommel = the german word for PomPom]

I finished another bobble / pompom hat / Bommelmütze / Pudelmütze. The last one I knit last winter for my sister and I just started knitting. For this one I used a knitting pattern from the book “Knitting smitten” by Jessica Biscoe (I own the German edition..) There wasn’t much new stuff in the pattern but I learned one nifty way to knit two stitches together. It really does look pretty.

The yarn I used was from Lang yarns and since I got it from their outletshop it didn’t have a tag anymore. It is very soft and easy to knit with, I liked working with it. A friend of mine bought some as well and while mine was impeccable she wasn’t satisfied quality wise, there were quite a few weak places and felted bumps in her balls.

I made another thing – a pillow, the yarn I used is divine! – out of the book, and a third piece is in the works. (I recently wore the hat, and sadly it is a little small for my head. While inspecting it I realised I forgot to weave in the ends.. It is not something I mind but I guess I was a little too excited to finally be finished with that hat..)

 – my bookshelf makes a nice background..

Ocotober 2015